The first international Self Portraits contest linked to the topic of Energy
Information and participation details can be found on: www.energyportraits.org
Launch of the contest: 21 November 2020
First deadline: 21 December 2020
Second deadline: 21 February 2021
Last deadline: 21 April 2021
The collection of Energy SELF Portraits will focus on different SDG7 dimensions such as energy access, its costs and options, its quality, its environmental implications as well as how energy efficiency and renewable energy may offer solutions to the SDG7 challenge.
The nexus with other SDGs will be given particular attention in the collection and in the narrative as it offers the opportunity to highlight stories in which energy access plays a crucial role in meeting other SDG challenges, such as poverty and hunger (SDG 1 and 2), health (SDG3), education (SDG4), gender equality (SDG5), access to safe water (SDG6), decent work and productivity (SDG8 and 9), equal opportunities (SDG10), sustainable cities and communities (SDG11), responsible consumption and production (SDG12) and climate change (SDG13).
The contest will accept Energy SELF Portraits which conform to the following photo formats:
1. Traditional family Self-Portrait: a photograph taken in or at the family home with one or more family members and a collection of energy devices.
2. Technology Self-Portrait: a photograph of one or more people standing with a type of technological device or process which has a connection to the energy challenge.
3. Community Self-Portrait: a photograph with one or more people and their collective connection with energy, for example, students at a school, doctors at a hospital, etc.
The Jury is composed of:
- Swetha RaviKumar Bhagwat, Head of FSR Global.
- Luca Locatelli, environmental photographer and film-maker
- Kip Patrick, Senior Director of Advocacy and Communications at the Clean Cooking Alliance
- Kristina Skierka, CEO of the Power for All campaign
Together they will select the winners of 15 prizes worth $100 USD and one overall winner for the contest who will receive a prize of $500 USD.
All winning portraits and stories will be made available to view on www.energyportraits.org and the social media of WAME and partners of the contest.
The CONTEST is open to EVERYONE! We invite all contest participants to publish their portraits on Instagram, using the hashtag #energyselfportraits
The contest Energy SELF Portraits is a project by WAME. Thanks to the support of Fondazione AEM, Florence School of Regulation, Museo della Scienza e Tecnologia Leonardo dal Vinci di Milano, and Fondazione Cariplo, WAME has been documenting the energy access challenge through images since 2017 with photographs taken by the photographer Marco Garofalo and captions by Matteo Leonardi.
Each photograph and associated caption depicts the story of the portrait and provides basic information on access to electricity in that specific context. Particular attention is given to the convenience, reliability and sustainability of the energy service. Energy Portraits documents the challenge of Sustainable Development Goal 7: "Ensuring access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all".
To learn more and to participate go to: https://www.energyportraits.org/